Monday, September 12, 2011

Cheese + Meats + Wine

There's something uniquely alluring about an indulgent cheese and meat platter paired with a glass of wine. On many occasions, I've skipped dinner in preparation for a wonderful night of this combination. While a DIY version in the living room is always convenient, sometimes nothing beats a night at a wine bar.

Bar at The Bluebird. From bluebirdchicago.om

My favorite wine bar in Chicago (that I've been able to visit) may not be the best, but the food, wine, and ambiance are perfect for my budget. The Bluebird, located at 1749 N. Damen in Bucktown, is a cozy brick-and-rustic-wood  escape from the bustling six corner intersection at the heart of the Wicker Park/Bucktown area. Their beer and wine selection is immense...the menu is literally a book. I'm not going to pretend like I can even BEGIN to discuss the finer points of beer or wine, so I'm just going to recommend that you ask your server for some help navigating the menu. Luckily, the food is a bit easier to discuss. Their food menu is fairly small, but I prefer it that way. They offer small plates, mussels, large plates, sweets, and (of course) meat and cheese assortments. Both are priced under $20, while a combination platter is $25. I usually split it with a few friends, so it ends up being pretty doable on a lab rat's budget. The Bluebird is near and dear to my heart, so I recommend you grab a few people you love and head over for some wine and excellent conversation.

Right by the wall at Old Town Social where we sat! From oldtownsocial.com

This weekend I experienced some deja vu and ended up back at Old Town Social for dinner. I thought Bluebird's bar selection was overwhelming, until I came here on Friday night. If you like beer or whiskey, you need to check it out! To accompany our drinks, we ordered a "Ploughman's Platter" with different meats and cheeses. While the pricing is about the same, I enjoyed Bluebird's meats and cheeses much more. I'm not entirely sure why, but Old Town Social left me feeling a little jipped. The ambiance is also different, but it depends on what you're looking for at the time! Old Town Social has much more of a loud, fun bar atmosphere and I'm more of a warm and fuzzy conversation kind of girl. I still recommend it, though! Apparently their cocktails are pretty delicious (so say my friends).

3 comments:

  1. so jealous it hurts. it's #1 on my list of places to go back to - no wait, #2. you know what's always been my #1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.healthforthewholeself.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/gold-star-2-1.jpg

    ReplyDelete