Friday, September 9, 2011

New York Bars

What I've come to realize in New York is that it has a "if we build it, legions will come" philosophy. Everywhere in the city are the strangest assortment of concept mash-ups. Why not have a bar hidden behind a hot dog stand? Why not have a drive-in theatre...in Manhattan? Why not party in abandoned banks and warehouses? Why not have a bar based on cupcakes and alcohol?

I went to Sweet Revenge for my friend's birthday. I got the raspberry red velvet - which I order at every cupcake/restaurant I can. It's my scientific yardstick of the art of cupcaking. The raspberry was nice touch to tone down the sweetness, and it had cream cheese frosting instead of buttercream. (Thank the sweet lord). But the best part was the nice Belgian I had - which I'll recognize if I ever see it, but could not pronounce it to save myself from burning. Good thick head, very mellow and warm. Washed down the cupcake quite well.

While we were eating, film cameras had been set up to document the scene. There was lighting, mood, and three people conveniently at the bar. Guess who? The funny thing was that in all the times I've ever been filmed, I don't think I've ever felt as nonchalant. Want to film me tenderly enjoying my cupcake? Alright. My zipcode is known for its Devil-May-Care, go ahead. Why not.

When you have a city so big, you can cater to niche markets and still break even (or make bank if you have a little cupcake shop in the West Village.) And with the variety of people here, you kinda feel bold enough to do whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want. That sort of freedom then frees you to do something a little bit stranger.

I'm not trying to say that New York is the only place with cupcake and beer, or that it's even that strange - how many times have I gotten a beer and a cupcake?but the eyebrow quirk that I raised at first eventually mellowed out as I forgot there was a camera there, and ate my cupcake, watching as people walked through the rain, completely unaware of anything but what was in front.


All that was left within 10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. whoa!!!! i wonder how a blue moon would taste with a cupcake (commercial, i know) but can you imagine the light citrus-y-ness paired with something vanilla?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Knot used to have a cupcake of the month, not sure if they still do. Imagine a "Black and Blue" cupcake! Black-bottomed with a orange-scented layer of cake on top, some vanilla frosting and orange zest on top! Actually, does the Guinness go on top or bottom? I forget...

    ReplyDelete