Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Davis Theater


Last night was date night! Our choice: the new Guillermo del Torro horror movie, obviously. I'm a huge Pan's Labyrinth fan, so I had expressed interest in seeing Don't be Afraid of the Dark to my boyfriend a few weeks ago. After looking up showtimes, I decided we should go to the old Davis Theater in Lincoln Square (off of the Western Brown Line stop).

It was perfect! The weather was a bit dreary, so a horror movie + an old theater + stormy weather = a great movie watching experience. The ticket prices were also awesome compared to most city theaters.

The movie itself was pretty good! There were a lot of unanswered questions at the end and I'm not the biggest Katie Holmes fan, but I can forgive that. The story is very similar to Pan's (child, big house, something funky going down) and it's very suspenseful. I'm not exactly a movie critic, but if you like del Torro or magic/fantasy/horror movies in general you should check it out!

The only downside was my boyfriend turning to me in the middle of the night and whispering, "Good thing there are no vents in your room for faerie folk to use" in my ear. It was a bit difficult to fall back asleep after that...so...maybe don't see this movie alone...

1 comment: