Monday, September 19, 2011

It's cool to be...uncool...I guess?

Photo from chibarproject.

If there is one thing I am slowly discovering about what it means to be a "cool" 20-something in Chicago, it's that you must be "uncool" in the MOST IRONICALLY COOL OF WAYS.

For a Saturday night out, I guess this means waiting in line for a dive bar/dance club/lounge in the middle of nowhere. After grabbing some cocktails at The Southern, my friends and I headed to Danny's Tavern in Bucktown. It's a little off the beaten path (Damen and Dickens), which just increased my curiosity. I'm a sucker for bars that are tucked away in corners of the city. I just didn't expect to wait 15 mins in line. Then it hit me...I looked around and realized I was rubbing elbows with some painfully trendy Bucktown residents. Is this what I have become? An ironically cool 20-something faux-hipster? Sadly, some of my activities and interests confirm this terrifying possibility. Alas, this place was awesome. The drinks were $4 and people were dancing everywhere. I highly recommend it for a night of dancing, but be warned: it's supposed to feel like a packed, sweaty house party.

Despite the raucous good time, it all felt very strange. I began to think that I had forced my way into an ephemeral social niche. Everything about it felt temporary. The hairstyles, the fashion, the music...nothing seemed built to last. Being an old soul, I found this extremely disturbing. While I fully support advancements in society, I personally like to surround myself with comfortable, familiar things. I like my clothing pre-worn and my books pre-owned. The idea of my possessions having histories fascinates me. The funny thing is, I know if I had asked anyone there if they enjoyed vintage stores or used books stores, they'd probably answer with a similar appreciation. The whole subculture has this weird clash of new and old thing going on that I am still getting used to. It really peaks my interest in the birth and evolution of cultural movements or trends. How does it all COME TOGETHER?! Also...how the hell do we figure out where it is we "belong"?

I guess for now I'll just stick with my 1/4 nerd, 1/4 feisty Latina, 1/4 faux-hipster, 1/4 tbd persona....

No comments:

Post a Comment