Monday, September 5, 2011

How to Make Yourself Seem Important

So you've decided to take some time off before grad school? If you're like me, you have a laundry list of things to accomplish during this precious time. Considering I spent a majority of my undergraduate career under the illusion that I wanted to go to medical school, I need to make up for lost time. I am fortunate enough to have gained some valuable research experience as an undergrad that helped to mold my interests. Now all that's left is to enrich my research background, take a few classes, polish up my CV, and begin communicating with potential advisers.

So far, building my CV has posed the most difficult challenge. It feels strange to make yourself seem important when, well, you're not yet. It's kind of like...painting a striking portrait when you're only allowed to use black and white. I somehow managed to flesh out my experiences and activities enough to have a three page CV. I think my first obstacle was getting out of the "resume mindset" and remind myself that CVs are MEANT to be READ not simply glanced at while sifting though a giant pile. Professors, advisers, and investigators WANT to know about your interests and experiences. Did you help with an NSF-funded research project? Talk about it! Granted, a CV still isn't a novel so don't go overboard. Relevant community-based activities are also great additions to a CV. They demonstrate how your passion for your research interests extends beyond your desk in the lab. Your CV is a marketing tool! Give admissions boards the best chance to get to know you on paper.

The most helpful tip I have is to find someone who recently went through the application process to confide in. I met an amazing research associate (now grad student) while working in my lab as an undergrad. She's been a tremendous help so far. She's not only knowledgeable about the process, but she genuinely cares about my thoughts and my future. I also have some equally as amazing friends who are always there to answer my questions and encourage me. My boyfriend is also in the process of applying to programs, so he's always around to answer my GRE-related questions (he rocked the exam) and help me in whatever way he can (whenever I work up the courage to ask questions)! Basically, if you're like me...you might need to get over yourself, haha.

Standing on the brink of a 6 year Ph.D program may seem terrifying, but...it's all about your attitude and your willingness to ask for help when you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment